Thursday, September 29, 2011

Lost in translation

Lately, Matt and I have had a few conversation mishaps due to our differences in pronunciation of words (and possibly hearing). You'd think that by now it would be easy for us to understand one another since we both speak English but it's so much more than that. The truth is, he speaks Australian and I speak American. Here's a few recent examples.

Example 1. At home.

M: Christians are funny, man...there were these skaters at a hospital and one of them got hurt and...

J: Wait, what? Who? 

M: Christians are funny...let me start from the beginning. So in this skate video...

J: Wait, I don't get it. Who's Christian? 

M: What?

J: What? Didn't you say Christian's a funny man?

M: Yeah, but let me just start the story over...

J: I'm so confused. Who's the Christian dude and why is he funny?


Example 2. At a cafe. A group of women at the table next to us were all taking turns with their cameras, shooting photos as a group. 

J: I wonder if one of these ladies wants a group shot.

M: One of these ladies has a boob job?

J: What?! No! (laughs)

Example 3. Midnight at home. 
Click here.


. . .


Maybe to sum it all up, it's kind of like this song... except that I say "potato" and Matt says "potater." For more of my thoughts on how Aussies talk, click here to read about "H" and other tricky letters.