Monday, December 26, 2011

Boxing Day

What is it anyway?  I have no idea.  I'm sure I could look it up somewhere online but its origins mean nothing to me.  It's simply another public holiday in Australia and an excuse for stores to have big after Christmas sales.

But Matt and I didn't go shopping today.  No--instead, he was called in to the office to make more last minute changes for a client who is putting on the New Year's Eve show in Beijing.  We weren't exactly thrilled about it but that's the nature of the business and so off he went for a few hours.  I stayed home and thought I might as well make myself useful and clean up house a bit, run a couple loads of laundry, and update my blogs.  All the necessary things, of course.  

My father-in-law won a massive ham from a golf event and sent home 1/3 of it with us on Christmas day so I decided I'd make my first honey-baked ham.  After researching several recipes online, I discovered a happy sort of ingredients to use and then began basting.  Soon our home started to smell divine and I was suddenly reminded of Christmas in California.  "Grandma would love to eat this right now," I thought to myself.  

I baked up a cheesy pasta casserole and made some small salads to complete the meal.  Matt arrived home just in time and we gobbled it up.  After dinner, we booked ourselves in for two tickets to watch The Adventures of TinTin in 3D.  It was absolutely amazing.  Loved it.  Go watch it.  Now.  Hurry!!

Oh how I love Boxing Day.  Almost as much as I love Devonshire Tea.  Dear President Obama, can we please adopt these as American traditions?