Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Mid-week

It finally arrived today.  Matt's birthday present--one of the best sort of presents we could get him because he'll be using it every day.  It's a quickshifter for his CBR1000 and does exactly what it sounds like it does--allows him to shift gears quickly.

Earlier we chatted with my parents in America and Dad was taking the piss out of him saying, "When you get your fast shifter, let me know how many thousandths of a second faster you go from 0-60."  What a funny guy... 

It's now about 8.30pm on a Wednesday night and I'm seated at the kitchen table at Al's house, checking emails, blogging, and reading about Biola.  Meanwhile, I can hear the sound of a power drill and sporadic sprays of a can from outside--that's where the boys are. I  peer down the hallway to have a peek at what they're up to.  Al has Matt's motorbike engine wide open with wires and plugs and guts hanging out like he's performing open heart surgery.  Matt is holding a flashlight and a large spray can.

"What are you spraying?" I ask him.

"Spray paint," he says.

"What?!"

He laughs.
"Nah, it's mozzie spray...for the mozzies," he says.

Ah, yes--I know what he means because that's a word I've learned from getting acquainted with Aussie slang.

The presence of mosquitoes at night often reminds me of the summer nights around the campfire at Lake Del Valle where I'd go camping with my best friend and her family.  There was always a certain kind of chill in the air during those relaxed evenings and right now, I sense a familiar vibe.

The forecast says it's supposed to be sunny the rest of the week but outside it sounds like a storm is rolling in and I can almost feel it sweeping through the hallway to the kitchen.  Where is summer?  Isn't the world supposed to be getting hotter or something? What's all that crap about global warming?  Can they explain why Australia is so bloody cold right now when it's supposed to be hot?

The battery on the laptop just signaled a warning that it has 7% of life left.  The clinking of tools and the spritzes of the can continue to create a funny sort of rhythm.  I guess I'll head outside now and see what the boys are up to.  So long for now...