Can't believe it's already June. We've just returned from a month's holiday overseas (as you can probably tell from the dozens of photos I recently uploaded) and it feels like Matt and I are having to start all over again. America holds so many precious reasons for us to stay and while it was hard saying goodbye to our loved ones, it's also refreshing to be back in the land where God has us. I never thought I'd get used to long flights and accepting the fact that we live 7,000 or so miles away from everyone, but sometime between landing in Sydney and walking to our local cafe the next morning for a coffee, it hit me--I'm happy to be here. Both of us are.
There's also some heavy news that's been weighing on our hearts and minds ever since we got back. It came as quite a shock and neither of us can really seem to shake it off, as it's both grave and very disturbing. What do you do when evil strikes? How do you respond? For us, this reality brings us closer to God, giving Him thanks and praise for the kind of lives He has blessed us with.
You know, sometimes you go through life, your routines, your day to day struggles, and you think you have battles. You think you have trials. And then one day you return home from a month's holiday abroad in California and Maui and reality slaps you in the face. You realize the things you worry about are petty. You realize the dramas you are consumed by are nothing. You realize how blessed you are to know Jesus, to have a life and hope with Him. You consider what life without Him would be like and it frightens you to the point of chills, because you have just seen the damage and danger a life like that could entail.
I don't wish this sort of news upon any of my loved ones. I pray they never hear it or have to come face to face with it, but I do know one thing--I'm grateful for the outcome. It's hard to cast aside the things that life demands you to get busy about--work, bills, chores, errands, etc.--but don't wait for something to snap you out of it. Thank the Lord every day for what you have, and for who you have in your life. Thank the Lord for showing you the love of Jesus and the truth of His Word. The enemy is out to steal, kill, and destroy--be ever ready, ever present, and on guard for his attacks; but most importantly, draw nearer to Jesus for only He can be our refuge.